Why Buttes Resort ? Well, if you drive up Highway 49 from Grass Valley you will think Downieville is the last stop to the end of nowhere. Well, it is not. Not meaning to take anything from Downieville but we have something special you should drive 12 more miles to see. First, we are 4200 feet and it is cooler in the summer, the nights are great and we get snow in the winter. We will tell you if you are looking for night club shows, bungee jumping, jet ski rentals or other types of high tech entertainment than you might want to consider Tahoe or Mammoth. If you are looking for a little slower pace and some natural wonder continue on.
We now have two restaurants all right in Town and one just up the road and one down the road. Herringtons offers fine dining and breakfast all summer. Just five minutes up the road is Bassetts which has all three meals, a store and gas, all the time. Finally, in summer Sardine Lake Lodge and Packer Lake offer excellent dining only 10 minutes from Town on pristine mountain lakes. Of course we have two fine bars, Herringtons and Sorroccos all within a golf shot of each other. Mexican food you want, just a short drive over Yuba Pass to Sierraville and great steaks at the Coyote Bar and Grill in Graeagle only 17 miles over Lakes Basin Road. We even have a gas station right next to the motel at Tom's Snowmobile. Oh, did I mention we have a Skidoo dealer next door with all your snowmobile needs and ATV's?
We have extensive hiking for all skills all summer right across the street, up the Pacific Crest Trail, and little hikes to waterfalls and such only minutes away. The hike to the Sierra Buttes Lookout over 8500 feet is right up the road. Ask us about the Round Lake Loop!!
The general store is open every day offering every thing you could need including beer, wine and liquor. It also has a fine deli with killer sandwiches and breakfast burritos. It is like a Safeway stuffed in a smaller historical building and the owner is a hoot and willing to help all comers. Don't forget Larry's hamburgers.
The river is right below us and you can get to it from many locations, a swimming hole included. There are many camp grounds within reach of Town that are right on rivers. There are 45 lakes, some within 10 minutes of Sierra City, accessible by car or a nice hike, that are full of trout. Gold lake is just up the road and will accommodate large boats. Sardine Lake rents fishing boats as well. If you four wheel drive or OHV, there are more roads than you can cover in one summer. If you fly fish, the North Fork of the Yuba and Salmon Creek are full of fish waiting for the knowledgeable angler. Don't discount Haypress and Packer Creeks or the lakes either!
The Kentucky Mine museum is wonderful and has a nice mine tour. Sierra City sponsors Oktoberfest, has a Memorial Day all around Town yard sale, a fun car show in September, and the community host events throughout the summer. There is golf available in Graeagle only 20 minutes away. The Mountain Quail hunting is great in the fall.
The list just goes on and on. Sierra City is the gateway to the Lakes Basin, it is almost always very nice and has so much to offer. Oh, Highway 49 is plowed in the winter very well and is always open. To top it off it is quiet after the sun goes down, unless the river and the birds are considered noise. So, why the Buttes Resort? It is worth the drive, we are in the friendliest Town in Sierra County and you just have to try us out. Believe me, you will not be disappointed.
Now some shameless advertising:
If you are TIRED of places in the Sierra that give you the small, older room with no upgrades and minimal cleaning for a high cost, then look no further. We give you a better option for a fair price. As you look us over please consider choosing us for your vacation. We know there are other accommodations that you may choose for various reasons. Our challenge to you is this: even if you always stay at another place, try us out just one time. You will come back. If you just have to stay at your favorite place, why not drop by while you are in Town and check us out. If we have the time between cleaning and checking in guests and the situation allows, we want you to see what you missed, we know you will be impressed and perhaps you will come back again to Sierra City, and us. In fact, let us share with you some absolutes or guarantees if you stay with us:
1. Linens and Towels- we of course provide but they are new, up to date and home quality. If you need more we will not give you threadbare white towels, you will get the best. They are clean as we do our own laundry on site.
2. Clean- our rooms are very clean. Lindy and I do it ourselves to ensure it is clean, period. We tried local maids and found it was not up to our expectations. We do not take pets for a simple reason: it is impossible to clean to our standard when pets are allowed. We love them but do not want to clean up after them. We love it when a guest checks in and then comes over and says" You know, I am nuts about cleaning and this is the first place I have ever stayed that is clean. Thanks".
3. Privacy- we will do everything in our power to ensure your visit is quiet and private. We do not allow "lookylous" around the compound when we have guests, including the decks. So, don't get mad if you are stopping by and we do not allow you to look off the deck or in rooms; we are protecting the privacy of our guests. You are interested in looking around, check in at the office.
4. Equipped- we offer kitchens in 7 rooms. They are well equipped with nice items. If you need something else such as a special cooking pot, ironing board and iron, etc we will provide it for you. Coffee is provided for each day of your stay.
5. Quoted Price- we do not charge extra for roll away beds, extra cars, kids or other additions within reason. The price we quote is what you pay. That being said, we do not stuff more people in a room than beds allow.
6. Informative- we are familiar with restaurants, hiking, fishing, and most features of the area. We will spend all the time you need telling you what we know, where to go, and how to get there, every time you are here. Your hosts are the owners and we are always here.
7. Upgraded- when we bought this place we started upgrading the rooms and grounds. This is non-stop and the result is up to date, open, bright and cheery cabins. We are not static people, we are not satisfied with the status quo, and neither is our Inn. Just because a motel is filling rooms does not mean one should ignore the decor.
8. Housekeeping- although we call these housekeeping cabins we offer housekeeping service each day. If the towels are on the floor we take them, make beds, empty trash and clean the place up. You DO NOT have to clean up after yourself unless you want to, and then we appreciate you even more.
9. Cooling/Heating- no, we do not have air conditioning, but each room has at least one large ceiling fan and a large box fan as well. Cabins 7 and 9 have two or three ceiling fans. All rooms have gas heat with seven cabins having gas fire places.
10. Multi-Media: Each room has a TV with satellite and DVD players. We supply over 100 DVD's no charge. We have a small library which you can take a book home if you don't finish and we provide free internet at a PC in the office with some wireless depending on location. We have a guest phone in the office with unlimited long distance.